As disaster relief organizations across the country set out to raise funds for supplies and aid to Haiti, they turned to mobile phones and text messaging as a quick and easy way for people to give money.
The response of generous donors across the country was a watershed moment for mobile fund raising with millions of dollars raised by a ton of great organizations.
Update: Over $27 million dollars raised via mobile so far!
Mobile Giving Insider did a nice job cataloging and summarizing the many campaigns that sprung up in the first 24 hours after the earthquake, and we are continuing to update the list as new relief campaigns launch:
- Text HAITI to 25383 to donate $5 to International Rescue Committee
- Text CARE to 25383 to donate $10 to CARE
- Text OXFAM to 25383 to donate $10 to Oxfam International
- Text AJWS to 25383 to donate $10 to American Jewish World Service
- Text HABITAT to 25383 to donate $10 to Habitat for Humanity
- Text BABY to 20222 to donate $5 to March of Dimes
- TextGIVEto 25383 to donate $10 to Partners in Health
- Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross
- Text YELE to 501501 to donation $5 to Yele
- Text HAITI to 864833 to donate $5 to The United Way
- Text CERF to 90999 to donate $5 to The United Nations Foundation
- Text DISASTER to 90999 to donate $10 to Compassion International
- Text HAITI to 20222 to donate $10 to The Clinton Foundation
- Text HAITI to 85944 to donate $10 to International Medical Corps
- Text BEST to 501501 to donate $5 to Project Medishare
- Text FRIENDS to 90999 to donate $5 to World Food Program
- Text HEART to 85944 to donate $5 to Happy Hearts Fund
- Text HAITI to 52000 to donate $10 to Salvation Army
- Text UNICEF to 20222 to donate $10 to UNICEF
- Text HAITI to 40579 to donate $10 to National Religious Broadcasters
- Text SAVE to 20222 to donate $10 to Save the Children
- Text WORLD to 20222 to donate $10 to World Vision
- Text QUAKE to 20222 to donate $10 to The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund
- TextRELIEFto 25383 to donate $10 to Catholic Relief Services
- Text RELIEF to 30644 to get automatically connected to Catholic Relief Services by phone and donate money with your credit card.
And a bunch of international mobile giving campaigns:
- Canada: Text HAITI to 45678 to donate $5 to the Salvation Army
- Canada: Text HELP to 1291 to donate $5 to the Partners in Health (Rogers and Fido only)
- UK: Text GIVE to 70077 to donate £5 to Disasters Emergency Committee
- Germany: Text HAITI to 81190 to donate 5 Euro to Aktion Deutschland Hilft
- Denmark: Text KATASTROFE to 1231 to donate 100kr to Røde Kors
- Mexico: Text a donation amount to 8888 to donate 100,200,300, or 500 pesos to Fundación Telmex
We are continuing to update this list as we learn about more organizations and their efforts. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of a mobile fund raising campaign that should be on this list. Thanks!
This is a phenomenal list of organizations and we’re thrilled to see the national response to the call to action and how much money they’ve been able to raise in such a short time.
In case you are concerned or suspicious about donation money with a text message, don’t worry; mobile fund raising is a completely legitimate way of donation money to a non-profit. The donation shows up on your phone bill at the end of the month, is tax-deductible, and most importantly, the carriers do not take a percentage of the donation. Mobile giving is made possible through cooperation between the mobile carriers, the Mobile Giving Foundation (an independent 3rd party that vets non-profits to prevent fraud), and companies like Mobile Commons. At this time, mobile giving is available to 501(c)3 organizations in the United States and Canada.
Your Organization Can Collect Mobile Donations Too!
Text donations work best when they act as a complement to your existing online fundraising efforts and also to you larger mobile strategy. We’ve worked incredibly hard to build a fully featured suite of products for organizations to leverage the power of mobile while not disrupting their workflow or creating a separate silo of data.
In addition to enabling organizations to collect text donations, Mobile Commons automatically integrates with your existing online CRM and donor management database. Our core platform is used for mobile list building & list management, enabling you to establish a direct and personal connection to your constituents and communicate with them when you need their support the most. Our mobile advocacy tools including district matching and automatic routing to legislators are unmatched in the industry.
If you’d like to learn more about how your organization can start collecting donations via text message and also incorporate it into your larger online and offline fundraising strategy, please contact us today.
We’d love to help you get started!